Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Come What May


It's coming. The day when dreams will be crushed under the weight of...Hold up. No. That's wrong. Forgive my flair for the dramatic.

Mentee announcements are just around the corner, the PitchWars Live Event is tomorrow night and the next morning...well, some of us will be heading into a whirlwind of work, work, work that is the PitchWars editing round. The greater portion of us won't be be in that group, but that's okay. We're going to be moving on down our personal writing journey with best wishes to those working toward the Agent Round.

What will I be doing? Well, if I get selected, come the 25th, I'll be working on my book in hopes of getting published under the tutelage of one of the mentor's I pitched to. If I don't, I'll be working on my book in hopes of getting published with the help of a few amazing CP's, with a much stronger query letter, pitch, and synopsis to show for my time spent.

The query process for said book will begin again, and I'll keep working on book two while I'm at it.

And of course, there's the yearly prep for Nanowrimo, Halloween, my day job and a giant TBR pile to keep me busy (plus, you know, art. I need to be painting). My life will not be over if I don't get in. Plus, I'll be allowed to compete in a few other pitch competitions I wouldn't be able to if I do get in. There are opportunities galore.

I know there are going to be disappointments coming out of this, but try to keep your disappointment where it belongs. Your friends and family, private messages, etc. Let's be gracious. Writers are artists, we can be prone to...colorful expressions of irritation. We also have long memories.

(I am literally watching a My Little Pony episode on sportsmanship as I am writing this so...take from that what you will.)

Whatever happens Thursday, I am so happy to be a part of this community. I can't thank Brenda and the mentors, who have all donated their time and expertise to this even, enough. I have met so many amazing people and I cannot wait to see if they make to the next round.




No comments:

Post a Comment